Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lamp Makeover and Bedroom Update




A couple of weeks ago I shared my conundrum about choosing new bedding and I asked for opinions.  And you gave them.  Between here and Facebook, it was pretty much split down the middle between the navy and white Kate Spade (that I liked but couldn't really afford) and the yellow and grey Cynthia Rowling (that I could afford but didn't love).  Fact of the matter is, I returned both of them and was prepared to sit on it for awhile.


And along came my dear friend, Lynne, who was the tie breaker in this one.  She knows me so well.  Lynne brought me a gift certificate to Bed, Bath and Beyond, in the exact amount of the Kate Spade navy and white bedding for my birthday.  Love you, Lynne!  I don't think the ink was even dry on the birthday card before I went tearing over to Bed, Bath and Beyond and snatched the last one off the shelf.




Navy and white comforter in hand, I set off to look for the beloved coral that I hoped to accent the room with.  Hmmmm....I seem to be either way behind or way ahead of the trends but there isn't really anything coral in the entire province of Ontario.  Except this ribbon I found at Walmart.  Big whoop.




Oh.  And all the spray paint that was already in my basement.  Navy. Check.  Coral. Double check.  Fine then, I'll make my own things.  Starting with these lamps.


Apologies for the blurry picture!

I bought these from Homesense four or five years ago and swapped the shades out for black ones to match my old bedding.  Just a reminder of the old bedding.  And the light fixture.  Seriously.  What the heck?  But that's for another day.




Moving on.  You know what's better than navy and coral?  Navy and coral and gold!  Yup, folks, gold is making a comeback.  At least in my head, it is.  And, also, I had gold spray paint in my stash and some old gold frames that I wanted to put to use.  See?



So gold is definitely making a come back.  I wiped the lamps down (someone remind me to dust regularly, please?) and sprayed them with two light coats of primer.




And when that was dry, I sprayed the bottom and top detailing in gold and let everything dry.  Then I taped the gold parts off and went to town on the base of the lamp in a nice, shiny navy.




In reality, high gloss navy is the only navy I can find in Canada. While all of that was drying in the garage, I went to town on the shades with my $2.50 ribbon from Walmart.  If you know me well, you know I'm not a tutorial kind of gal but I'll do my best.

I marked off the top and bottom of the shades in six places.  With black crayon because that's all I could find.  Don't do that.  Use a pencil or something that erases.  I have black marks on the shade that I'm hoping no one will notice.




Then I used my glue gun to glue the ribbon that I'd cut to fit the shade into the six spots at the top of the shade.  At this point, it just reminded me of a maypole of some sort.




Then I glued myself the ribbons to the corresponding markings on the bottom of the shade at right angles.  If that makes sense. As a cautionary note, glue guns are hot people.  I burned myself a bunch of times trying to push the ribbon in to place.  Don't do that either.  Use a popsicle stick or something.  The burns on the tips of my fingers still hurt.  Also, don't get a manicure a few days before spray painting and glue gunning.  Just saying.




And we have pretty lamp shades with coral ribbon accents......Yay!




Once the lamps were dry I whisked them back upstairs to put them on the night stand to drool for a few minutes.
















Love. These. Lamps.

I've forgotten how much fun it is to get my craft on.  For the past six months, I've been using the boys nap times to catch up on office paperwork and clean the house.  That is just silly.

A quick before and after side by side.




And we have navy, coral, and gold lamps!  The race to pull the master bedroom together is on!



Linking to my favorite parties and to Watch Out Martha,  Between Naps On The Porch,  Home Stories A to Z  ,  Salt Tree, and  Coastal Charm  to share the makeover fun.

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful lamps! I love how shiny the navy is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea! I bought some lamps from target awhile ago that have a navy base, but I was still trying to come up with something to do for the lampshade, this gave me some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Navy and white is such a great combination. It is timeless and classic. I love the lamp, great touch with the shade. Thanks for linking this to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link party. Look forward to seeing what you bring next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good - and I love your new bedding! I'm hosting a Wall Decal giveaway that you should enter! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/wall-decal-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spray paint changes EVERYTHING. This looks awesome! Our guest room is navy and hot pink...I am so obsessed with that bedding! I can't wait to see it completely put together.

    Kylie
    absolutelyarkansas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE navy, coral and gold!! Your lamps look fab!!

    Emily
    www.houseintheheights.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. super cute they turned out really nice great job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you'll be getting your craft groove back on. All it takes is one project to get it going again. Great job! They look like brand new!

    Belinda
    http://ewwtoahh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great makeover - and I love your crafters humour. Yes, glue guns are hot :) Nice score on the gift card too!

    Thanks for linking up!

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  10. they look crazy pretty. I really love the result.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the lamps and the spread. Your bedroom is looking lovely. Thanks so much for sharing at Transformed Tuesday.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the ribbon and the pretty color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - I have done ribbon on lamp shades several times now but never thought of using a pattern like this. I love it!! Thanks so much for sharing it at Work it Wednesday this week- hope to see you back:)
    - Krista

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness girl, you just changed my world! Kate Spade has bedding... at BBB?? How awesome! I love the navy bedding you chose - looks awesome and your lamp complements it BEAUTIFULLY! I love the coral/navy combo! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that navy & gold base!! Great choice!
    - Lora @ Craftivity Designs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, those lamps look so posh now. They look fantastic with your new bedding! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. The lamp makeovers are amazing! I know it's the same lamps you had before, but I still can't quite believe my eyes. I didn't think spray paint could look so great. Wow. Love the gold touches, too. Personally, I've never thought that gold and brass in all of its various tones went out of style. In the end, you should surround yourself with the things you like the best, regardless of what's on trend or what's fashionable at the moment. Good luck with your bedroom redo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I nominated you for a Liebster award. I can only imagine how busy you are with the little ones but stop by to claim your award.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man - that's such an improvement! Can't wait to see more of this room!

    Grace Crawford (Website information on OnlyCubes Light Cubes)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Navy and white comforter in hand, I set off to look for the beloved ... beddingqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete